The Samsung S8 & S8+ just got official at the Smasung Unpacked Event. The most anticipated phone of this year is finally here.
As the leaks suggested Samsung Galaxy S8 & S8+ both have bezel-less designs and are really stretching the screens beyond the edges. Samsung is calling the new display as ‘Infinity Display’. S8 features a 5.8″ screen whereas S8+ has 6.2″ display panel. Both of these are Quad HD+ and with extra wide 18.5:9 aspect ratio. These are the first Ultra Dynamic Range certified screens.
With it’s latest flagships Samsung has ditched it’s hardware home button and replaced it with software one, which will give you haptic feedback just like the iphone. There is a new button which is on the left side of the smartphone just below the volume rockers, this will be used to get the samsung’s new virtual assistant Bixby in action. Bixby can answer voice queries, see the world around you, can act as a translator. Bixby will learn user habits and will improve accordingly.
Fingerprint scanner is now moved to back just beside the camera. Both the phones also have Iris Scanner just like the Note 7. Moving on to the camera, there is the same 12-mp Dual pixel sensor from last years S7 with improved software – it captures multiple exposures to raise image quality, Samsung calls it Multiframe Processing. Fornt camera is now 8mp with f/1.7 which comes with smart auto focus that keeps the focus on your face all the time.
The processing power is provided by Snapdragon 835 or the Exynos 8895 chipset varying with your region. Ram is 4GB with 64GB onboard storage but some regions will get 6GB/128GB version also. There is aslo microSD card slot present, for those of you who need extra storage. The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are the first phones to launch with 1 gigabit LTE, thanks to the new chipsets.
For the battery S8 gets a 3,000mAh one, the bigger Galaxy S8+ comes with a 3,500mAh pack. Both are sealed and feature Samsung’s Adaptive Fast Charging (the relatively old Quick Charge 2.0 is also supported). There’s fast wireless charging too, both WPC and PMA. Both the phone are water and dust proof, so can take them anywhere you go. Phones are protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5 on the front and back.
The official Promo video of the two beasts is also out. Check it out:
- S8 – 5.8-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 570ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- S8+ – 6.2-inch Quad HD+ (2960 × 1440 pixels) Super AMOLED Infinity display with 529ppi, Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection
- Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 with Adreno 540 GPU / Octa-Core Samsung Exynos 9 Series 8895 processor with Mali-G71 MP20 GPU
- 4GB LPDDR4 RAM with 64GB storage (UFS 2.1), 6GB LPDDR4 RAM with 128GB storage (UFS 2.1), expandable memory with microSD
- Android 7.0 (Nougat)
- Dual SIM
- 12MP Dual Pixel rear camera with LED Flash, f/1.7 aperture
- 8MP auto focus front-facing camera, f/1.7 aperture
- Water and dust resistant (IP68)
- Sensors – Accelerometer, Barometer, Fingerprint Sensor, Gyro Sensor, Geomagnetic Sensor, Hall Sensor, Heart Rate Sensor, Proximity Sensor, RGB Light Sensor, Iris Sensor, Pressure Sensor
- S8 – Dimensions: 148.9 x 68.1 x 8.0mm; Weight: 152g
- S8+ – Dimensions: 159.5 x 73.4 x 8.1mm; Weight: 173g
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4/5GHz), VHT80 MU-MIMO, Bluetooth v 5.0 (LE up to 2Mbps), GPS with GLONASS, USB 2.0, NFC, MST
- S8 – 3000mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
- S8+ – 3500mAh battery with fast Charging both on wired and wireless (WPC and PMA) charging
The Samsung Galaxy S8 and Galaxy S8+ come in Midnight Black, Orchid Gray, Coral Blue, Arctic Silver, and Maple Gold colors. The Galaxy S8 is priced at $750 (Rs. 48,660 approx.) and the Galaxy S8+ costs $850 (Rs. 55,140 approx.). It also comes with earphones tuned by AKG by Harman, which will be available separately for $99 (Rs. 6420 approx.). There are also many new accessories launched alongside the two smartphones which we will be covering shortly.