Andy Rubin’s Essential has finally officially unveiled it’s first phone, Ph-1. The phone is as rumours claimed. It has a 5.71″ edge-to-edge display up-front with a little cut out on top for the 8mp camera.
The display is a QHD panel having resolution 2,560 x 1,312 px. It has aspect ratio of 19:10 and Gorilla glass 5 for it’s protection. Phone is build with tough materials, titanium and ceramic.
Phone also supports modular accessories that can be attached to it via magnetic connectors on the back. And this is where the 360° camera will be attached to the phone. The 360-degree camera is capable of shooting UHD (3840 x 1920) video at 30fps. The company is also offering a charging dock.
Other specs of the phone are also high-end. Ph-1 has Snapdragon 835 processor coupled with 4GB of Ram. There is 128 GB of internal storage, ample for your daily needs. Sadly there is no sd-card port for the intensive users. On the rear the phone has two 13-mp cameras, one is monochrome.
- 5.71-inch (2560 x 1312 QHD) with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 cover glass
- 2.45GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa core processor (Quad + 1.9GHz Quad)
- 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
- Android OS(version not specified yet)
- Fingerprint Sensor
- 13MP Dual RGB + Mono camera with image fusion technology, 13MP True Monochrome mode f/1.85 lens, Video recording at 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps or 720p 120fps
- 8MP resolution with 16:9 aspect ratio f/2.20 fixed hyperfocal lens, Video recording at 4K 30fps, 1080p 60fps or 720p 120fps
- 4x microphones with noise cancellation and beam forming
- Dimensions: 141.5mm x 71.1mm x 7.8mm; Weight: 185 grams
- USB Type C, Bluetooth 5.0,WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac with MIMO, NFC, GPS and GLONASS
- 3,040 mAh battery with fast charging
Phone is available in Black Moon, Stellar Grey, Pure White and Ocean Depths colors. It is up for pre-order that will cost you $699 and $749 for the phone + camera accessory combo.
Our initial impressions about the phone are great. Phone has quite a potential with all it’s high end features. We like the fact that companies are still trying to do something that the crowd doesn’t have to offer.
- We really liked the modular design approach of the phone. Last time Motorola tried something like that in Moto Z phones.
- Other thing good about the phone is fantastic build quality. With the use of titanium and ceramic which are among the toughest materials used in smartphone manufacturing, the phone becomes quite sturdy. This will surely saves you from the pain of finding a case cover, the company claims.
- Bezel-less display always is a great addition. It surely makes the experience more immersive.
- The phone is missing 3.5mm jack , which is on par with the upcoming trend. We personally are no fan of that yet.
- Phone does offer wireless charging , but that is not like the regular wireless charging you will find on phones like Galaxy S8. The charging pad that company offers connects to the phone via the pogo pins on the back of Ph-1 and charges the phone. Anyhow wireless charging is always great.
Rest of the things like the android version, software experience can’t be spoken of until someone gets his hands on the Ph-1. So that’s it overall we liked the phone and on-paper what it has to offer. Only time will tell how it stands against the competition(iPhone7, Galaxy S8, LG G6).
Do let us know your thoughts in the comment section below. Have a good day!